Monday, November 2, 2009

Cody - In Memoriam

Cody


Cody was just over 4 months old when we met. I had no idea at the time of the journey that we would take, I only know that I am honored and privileged that I had the opportunity to be in his life.

From early on in Cody’s life he faced many challenges, challenges that most of us could never conceive. He was not alone on this journey, Cody was fortunate to have been born into the most dedicated, loving and supportive family who took every step of this journey with him. It could have been easy for Dorothy and John to place a protective bubble around Cody shielding him from life. Instead they faced the challenges together and provided a loving, nurturing and stimulating environment in which Cody experienced all. When Cody’s health was stable and he was feeling well, John and Dorothy participated in a number of activities with Cody and his brothers Jeremy and Brady in the community. They took part in infant massage of which I know that Cody thoroughly loved. John would tell me about the different strokes and parts of his body he loved having massaged and how it helped them all relax. Cody, Dorothy and Brady were regulars at The Parent Child Mother Goose Program a program which included music rhymes and stories. Members of my team would tell me that you could see in the reaction of Cody’s body and facial expressions when he recognized or liked a particular song.

On one occasion John was telling me about a time that he taken Cody swimming and how much they had both enjoyed it and how good it was for Cody to be able to float around in the warm water relaxing his muscles. It was from this conversation that we were inspired to start the Baby Belugas Swimming program at the IDP in partnership with the Pearson Pool. The program has been so successful and created another opportunity for parents to meet and in particular for Dads and have some fun with their kids. I don’t think that John and Dorothy know how much they have inspired other families to come out and participate in the community.

What I most like to remember are my visits at home. Big brother Jeremy was always on hand to give us an update on Cody’s health and what the latest likes and dislikes were. He was always a willing participant when it came time to teaching new activities for Cody. Personally I think Cody loved just being around his big brother and hearing him laugh and speak to him. Then Cody became a big brother to Brady and it is clear that they also loved to be with one another. If it was a day that Cody wasn’t feeling that well we would just sit beside him and talk quietly. I really believe that Cody just liked being where all the action was.

Some days Dorothy would tell me of upcoming plans for a family trip. I was always in awe when I would leave and think to myself how much work it was to pack everyone up and all the equipment needed to take the kids to the Seattle zoo, or Whistler or Kelowna. Now I think about the awesome family memories they have created and the stories to be told in the future. No matter the challenges or barriers they faced they overcame them so that Cody could always be included.

Cody touched the lives of many. He lived life bravely and he truly loved just as he is truly loved by all those who knew him. On behalf of all the staff of the IDP thank you to John, Dorothy, Jeremy and Brady for sharing Cody with us and letting us know him and love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment