Monday, November 16, 2009

Dr E. Ames to Prov. Government re Concerns re Cuts (link: MLA Yamamoto' response)

Dear Minister Polak:



After having received assurances from my MLA Naomi Yamamoto on October 20 that she would bring my specific concerns (below) to your attention, and from Premier Campbell's office on October 22 that "Minister Polak will ensure that you are sent a reply specific to your comments", I have been waiting eagerly for your response to my questions, but so far, it has not come.



Specifically, I would like to know:



If the IDP Office is closed down, who will



1) answer parent queries?



2) train new IDP Consultants on infant assessment techniques? (This is a very specialized area of expertise, one that I, e.g., do not have, even though I taught a course on Infancy at SFU for 20 yea

3) maintain the IDP library and send out relevant material to Consultants, parents, and community workers who need help in interacting with a child with a specific problem?



4) correspond with other such service providers and supervisors around the world?



5) arrange for in-service training for Consultants?



6) arrange Summer Institutes for Consultants?



7) advise on difficult individual cases?



I was interested to read your Letter to the Editor in this morning's Vancouver Sun, in which you stated that "While the adviser position may be ending, the work of the office will continue with no loss or interruption in either infant development or child development services." While I was heartened to read this positive sentiment, it is difficult for me to imagine how this will be done. WHO WILL NOW CARRY OUT THE SERVICES NOTED ABOVE?



< magic way that these essential back-up services can be provided without any replacement of the $300,000 cut, I must conclude that indeed there will be a great loss in IDP services, and that your statement in this morning's paper is highly misleading. It is my professional opinion that, as I said in my message to MLA Yamamoto, "...without any support quality of service will inevitably decline and there WILL be children who end up in life-long specialized foster care instead of living with their families"



I would greatly appreciate hearing your answers to the 7 questions above. Thank you.



Elinor W. Ames, Ph.D.

Professor Emerita

Simon Fraser University

No comments:

Post a Comment